Monday, August 19, 2013

42 is the answer to the Monday Meme!

This week's meme challenge from Strawberry Singh is about Second Life groups, particularly the limit that keeps us from joining more than 42 at any one time. She also features a picture of her alt, ManBerry Resident. Check out the original challenge post here.


This isn't my "ManBerry," rather is it my brother CC Poultry's alt. Maybe it is his "main" since he spends more time as this dapper gentleman than he does as CC in-world. Really, though, what is an an alt that we must identify it as such? That's a topic for a future post, but for now, remember I've taken to calling them characters and they are each a part of me.

Meme Instructions: Answer the following questions about groups and share some of your favs with us. Don’t forget to leave your link in the comments!

Have you reached the 42 group limit?

I have about 30 groups visible to the general public, but I do believe that my Uccie Poultry-Seale account has either 40 or 42 group slots filled if I weren't too lazy to count. Then there are my other characters such as my pixies, Zyx Flux and Zyx Resident. Each has some groups specific to what they do in-world. "Wee Zyx" is a gardner so she belongs to groups for shops that sell gardening supplies. "Big Zyx" is something of a mystery and will add/drop groups on a whim, but she's one of the officers of my Ministry of Silly Titles group. Founded back when we were allowed only 25 groups, I no longer had room for the Ministry so I appointed Zyx as an admin along with my brother and another character of mine.

Do you do a lot of group hopping to keep up with all the groups you want to stay a part of?

When I was associated with the most recent Second Life Birthday I had to drop a few groups to join all the necessary ones, but when I was banned from the event I found that I had quite a few group spots available. I don't normally group hop, but as you can see, I don't mind doing so if needed.

What makes you want to join a group?

Like everybody, sometimes I need to join a group for access to land: Sandboxes, my home, a friend's ban-lined land, etc. Other times I join for announcements, shopping discounts, or for group gifts (ex., Big Boobie Babes Freebies). Some groups like the Macintosh User Group are good for support. Many groups are just for fun, like the Ministry or the LDPW Mole Fan Club I created, but I don't get to belong to many of those.

A lot of store VIP groups have a group fee which you have to pay to join. How do you feel about paying group fees?

I don't mind a group fee, though the economy of this could be misleading. One of my characters spent several hundred $Linden to join a group for a shop that gave out some nice gifts. She didn't grab them all as they weren't all appropriate for her, but I'd say she got her money's worth over all. Lately, though, the group gifts are simply huge discounts on limited edition items and the style of the store has changed dramatically. I don't give that character much money and the store is no longer someplace she visits much, but that could change in time.

Another example of a group fee so I could access a really scenic recreation area. It was popular and I even paid for others to have access so they could join me. Mind you, L$500 isn't a lot of money, but it is nothing to sneeze at when you often don't have even L$5 or you are gifting memberships. So when the resort opened a new area and started charging another L$500 for a special group to access that land, I was a bit miffed. More so when it seems that most of the members in the first group transferred over. I see no discernible difference between the two groups other than the newer one has nearly a full region to use while the older group has a bit less than a half region. Naturally, I'm often the only person in the older area while the newer area is filled with people doing the same thing they formerly did when they were on my side because new and shiny is always better.

Name a few groups that you are a part of that you feel everyone should look into joining and share your reasons behind that.

Everyone needs to join the Human Race, even if you are a furry or a demon or a whatever. Stop trolling (I'm sorry your life sucks so bad you have to try dragging down mine, but give it up), stop hating (Look, the really big breasts I have IRL weren't my idea and you can buy some if you are really jealous enough to say terrible things behind my back), and you shouldn't judge others (So many Christians forget that their book tells them "do not judge lest ye be judged" yet I still get a lot of crap for preferring women). Live and let live, people. I'm a human, you're a human, we are all humans. We're all on the same bus waiting to get to a better place or at least just enjoying the ride.

2 comments:

Strawberry Singh said...

That's actually a good way of putting it, they are not alts, but characters. I do feel a bit different when logged into ManBerry. Sometimes I wish I gave him a proper name too, lol.

Uccie Poultry said...

I'm just glad you didn't name him ManBerries *giggle*