Monday, June 25, 2012

SL9B: Best Exhibit

Everytime there is a big event with exhibits in Second Life I try to not think about "Which is the best one?" but its always in the back of my mind. SL9B is no exception and there are so many that are fabulous, but I was touring "My School Project - Inside Linden Lab" by Loki Eliot (SLurl) today and if there was ever an exhibit that would make the cut, this is one.

Basically, the idea is that a youngster created a 3D virtual school report of how things work at Linden Lab. Visitors should grab the HUD at the entrance and press the button on the door outside after wearing the HUD and before going inside. There is a free avatar you can wear while taking the tour and I think it really enhances the experience. Other freebies "pop up" as you go around the "offices" of Linden Lab. I'll let you discover the rest, but here are some pictures. Visit soon as this goes away at 11:59pm SLT on the 27th.

Make sure you grab the HUD before you go in.

These pix are in no particular order. Each "station" is about a function of Linden Lab and its operation of Second Life. Mythical Linden employees are named, but I think some descriptions sounded like actual Lindens.

The exhibit is very whimsical and sneaks in some pretty sly jokes. That's me with the balloon, BTW.

Awww .. *sniffle sniffle*
The HUD, pictured here, pops up when you click buttons like the one you see on the wall.

Everything is animated and wicked funny.

2 comments:

R. said...

I haven't thought in terms of Best... I did green/teal/red squares for cool/meh/WTF?

That one was a green square on my map. And I spent more time there than most builds.

-ls/cm

Emerald Wynn said...

I got giddy at SL9B. Wandering through the exhibits was good for my soul and reminded me why I fell in love with SL in the first place.

I too really loved this particular exhibit.

Thank you - to you and so many others who worked so hard to make SL9B happen, and I tip my hat to all the exhibitors who worked so hard to make this event another fabulous one, in spite of the obstacles this year.