Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday Meme: Books

Just as I was thinking of doing a bit of reading since my wife couldn't visit SL tonight when I noticed that Strawberry Singh posted her Monday Meme: Books. Here's what I dashed off 20 minutes before bed time ...


Meme instructions: Copy and paste the following questions and answers into your post, delete my answers and input your own. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments so we can all come and see. If you create an image for this meme, feel free to share it in the Blog Memes Flickr Group.

Are you a bookworm?
Definitions of "bookworm" will vary, but for the most part I would say that I am one. I can't think of too many times I've ever not had a book I'm reading within ten feet of me.

Which do you prefer: hardcover, paperback or electronic? 
Hardcover is an experience. The heft of the book, the quality of the paper, the smell of the binding. When I want to settle down in good light to read for an extended period of time, I pick a hardback. Our car has several paperbacks in the various seat and door pockets "just in case." Most of my reading is done on my iPod Touch. I can dim it enough that I can still read when I lay in bed at night awake for the first half-hour after getting my mom settled for bed. I listen for her as that's when she usually needs something after lights-out so I read.

Which book is your favorite? 
Yes. That one. I have no idea. They are all my friends.

Which children’s book is your favorite?
My brother has some old (old, old) books from the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series from when he was in Sixth Grade that I really like. The famous director has been excised from the current editions and the series title shortened, but you can still find them around. They are very tame compared to contemporary books aimed at the same age-group, but fun to read nonetheless.

What’s the last book you’ve read?
Currently, I'm in the middle of several books. The last I finished was Isaac Asimov's Foundation's Edge. I'm almost done reading the whole series for the umpteenth time.

Name your top five favorite writers:
In no particular order ...

  • Isaac Asmiov
  • Greg Bear
  • Kim Harrison
  • J.K. Rowling
  • Arthur C. Clark

Name a book that had a strong impact on you:
The Hunt for Red October, by Tom Clancy. My father read it in almost one sitting, sweating and having trouble breathing and wishing he still smoked. For weeks he had trouble sleeping and had to re-read it a few times. I found out later that he was reliving parts of his Navy career through this story. When I was old enough to read it and really get it, my brother showed me parts of Dad's service record and a "tell-all" book about the American submarine service that filled in many of the redactions of the former. Now when I re-read Red October, I am closer to my father.

Favorite and least favorite book genres?
As you can probably guess from some responses above, I'm a fan of the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre, leaning more toward the harder Sci-Fi (say, Ben Bova v. Usula K. Le Guin). Sure, it is all just fiction, but the speculative part is a hook. I also enjoy Biographies and some Mysteries. Can't say I enjoy Romance novels at all. Even the covers turn me off.

Favorite and least favorite book-to-movie adaptions?
Favorite? I always nitpick adaptations, but most Sherlock Holmes movies are faithful as are many of the Harry Potter stories. Least favorite? Any of the Percy Jackson books/movies. Holy crap Hollywood screwed the pooch on those. Not that the books were that good to start with, but the movies seem to be based on the book covers and liner notes.

Have you ever bought a book based on the cover alone?
No, I can't say I have. Sorry.

Where do you usually buy your books?
Lately, since I almost never get out of the house, I rely on Amazon for e-books and treeware.

Do you go to the library? 
If you mean the dozen or so boxes of books in the attic, the basement, the closet ... yes. As I almost never get out of the house, the really nice library down the street might as well be in another state.

How many books do you own?
As a family, we own hundreds and hundreds (thousands?), probably. Never counted them. My father divested himself of about half his collection before I was born but we still have boxes of his books I've never opened.

If you were to write a book about Second Life, which topic would you focus on?
No friggin' idea, really. There are so many activities, stories, and people. I'd have to think about it.

2 comments:

Strawberry Singh said...

Wow,I have read The Hunt for Red October. Interesting how your father related with it, makes it all the more powerful.

Uccie Poultry said...

Thanks for reading my blog, Strawberry!