Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mesh Tease [Updated]

I finally got to the Beta Grid after numerous tries and I was immediately griefed with objects that took my name, spammed chat with racist hate speech and offers to open Web sites to learn about avoiding griefing, but were, in fact, advertising pages. Later, I got to see some mesh objects.

This is one of them and I'm not floating above it. Apparently mesh objects have collision planes much like sculpted objects do ... physical bounding boxes that control how close an avatar can get to it. If the object is phantom, that's not an issue. If it is solid, you can stand on it and be seen as standing above it as you are really on the bounding box. This little beauty is by Drongle McMahon and I call it Mesh 60 Prims in 1 because the Edit pane indicated it was but one prim working as if it was 60 prims.

I won't bore you with tons of pix, but I will tease you by saying I saw marvelous applications of 3D cartography, clothes, fantasy avatars, landscape elements, and an detailed "Model-A"-style truck that should have been 41 prims but was really just one. I'm looking forward to mesh. You?

Alright. Just one more.

The Not-42-Prims truck by Alzahra Ames

UPDATE: 23 August 2011; 7:57pm SLT - The Lab has an official announcement on their blog, "Mesh goes gridwide: Create, sell, buy & enjoy all-new things in SL" ... with a nice picture. You can download the required viewer here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally got to the Beta Grid after numerous tries and I was immediately griefed with objects that took my name, spammed chat with racist hate speech and offers to open Web sites to learn about avoiding griefing, but were, in fact, advertising pages
WOW!
I often log into the Beta Grid, and this never happened to me.
You must be a grief magnet!
:-?

Uccie Poultry said...

@oobscure It's what I get for being blonde that day. No one messes with redheads :D

Alzahra Ames said...

Oh my truck here !!What surprise.Regards my friends.
Sometimes, I´m blonde