Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Meme: Introspection

Usually when I tackle on of Strawberry Singh's Monday Memes (this week's here and all here) I scan the questions but not her responses so I can try to be original. Sometimes I find that we have similar thoughts (poor Strawberry) but I imagine that since we are both in Second Life, we both are women, and we share some artistic bents, it shouldn't be a surprise me that our answers sometimes mesh. This introspection crap stuff I don't get, though. It is rather seldom that I look inside for contemplation ... it's messy in there. As uncomfortable as writing my responses was (introductions like this one I tend to write after the fact) I'm glad I tip-toed through the muck. Here we go ... Introspection.
Being Introspective and Looking Within Myself.

Meme instructions: Answer the following questions and don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments.

Regardless of your current number, how old do you actually feel? – By conventional measures, I am 25 years-old. Depending on who you ask, I'm either a very old soul or someone who still needs to grow up a considerable bit. As for myself, I certainly don't identify with my generation. At heart I'm really no more than 14, I'd say, though I adore the elements of culture from the 1930s to the 1970s.

Which is worse, failing or never trying? – The instance is the heart of relevance to this question. Most days I'm rather glad I've never tried skydiving without a parachute. On the whole, though, never trying seems to fairly boring. "That which does not kill you might strengthen you," to paraphrase many.

If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently? – This is a very difficult question as should the supposition be true, my circumstances would be quite different. Actually, I probably wouldn't even be here as my father would not have been around for his part in my conception. For argument's sake the premise is accepted so ... I would like to travel more, though I doubt I could afford it. It would be nice to have a girlfriend or a wife. I'd probably get back into photography.

Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things? – Oh, the right things. Karma can be a bitch.

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton? – Joyful simpleton might be nice for a change. Being in Mensa hasn't gotten more more than a certificate and a regular newsletter. Mind you, I often find the clueless innocent rather depressing. One day they will learn disappointment, deep pain, and heartache, all things I do not cope well with myself.

Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend? – No. Then again, I don't have many friends. For those from whom I have earned this special appellation I simply say "I'm sorry." It is not in my nature to keep in touch or to cope well with another's pain.

Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now? – Yes. I bundle my pain and keep it deep within me so it is always there. I hope you don't do that.

At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive? – Recently ... hmm. Nope. Hasn't happened.

If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job? – Nope. Pretty much committed to being my step-mother's full-time care giver till she needs more or needs no more. I'd use the money to buy a small perk or two but otherwise invest it toward a life when my job ends.

If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today? – The person I care for most lives with me already. In the abstract, I'd want to visit the one person who could stop the extinction to warn them.

What do you feel is the difference between being alive and truly living? – Experience and contribution. A life well-lived and lived well.

If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake? – Mistakes can be quite painful, though I imagine that perspective and magnitude are at the heart of this question.

What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you? – [Redacted for being too NSFW]

If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be? – Be a Do Bee.

1 comment:

Strawberry Singh said...

Glad you tackled this one, even if you do find it messy. After reading your posts for a while now and getting to know you a bit through them, I would say you were an old, wise soul that still knows how to have fun.