Monday, November 25, 2013

The Geeky Meme

After I spend all Saturday glued to the TV watching hour upon hour of Doctor Who, of course Strawberry hit us with a rather timely meme ... The Geeky Meme!

Meme Instructions: Create an image depicting what you consider to be geeky/nerdy/dorky and/or answer the following questions! Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments and if you do a picture for this meme, feel free to share it in the blog memes flickr group.



What do you consider yourself to be? Geek? Nerd? Dork? None of the above? All of the above? – Based on the definitions supplied by Strawberry in her blog post ... Geek sounds about right, but I don't know about smart. Nerd is almost spot on as I fear being near people and I've tested as having a very high IQ (but am without a clue as how to use it). Dork is as dork does, I guess, and I've been called one.

What was the first computer you ever owned? – Owned? Wow. An old Palm Pilot Color, a hand-me-down from my brother when he got a Sony running Palm OS. I've never owned what one might call a traditional computer, even today, but rather I've shared computers with my brother (he raised me) who almost never got rid of a computer. I've used a now-ancient 8088 PC and currently use a late-2009 27" iMac. At this time I "own" an Apple iPod Touch and an Apple iPad Air.

When and how did you first get on the internet? – I don't remember ever not having the Internet so I'd have to answer "As soon as I was sat in front of a computer." I was too young to really use it, but I had an AOL log-in.

Which geek fandom do you subscribe to? – None in particular. Like Strawberry, I enjoy Harry Potter and other "famous" randoms. A couple not typically subscribed to by the general populace: The dragon novels by Naomi Novik and Kim Harrison's Hollows books. Also on my reading list are more mainstream authors like Asimov, Clarke, Pournelle, Niven, Bear, and more.

Star Trek or Star Wars? – Both, and add in Battlestar Galactica to round out the Space group. I rather enjoy Doctor Who, as well, and most Sci-Fi on TV and in movies.

How Geeky Are You?
Hoorah!! Take that, Norms!!
(And take the quiz here.)

2 comments:

Strawberry Singh said...

So jealous of your geek rating! Smartypants! :P

Bixyl Shuftan said...

Maybe a little on the Geek side.

Apple II Plus

Mid-90s though college computer (AOL was still a "walled garden")

Not sure if there's one particular one I subscribe to.

Star Wars. It's easier to imagine yourself as a hard on your luck space trucker than a redshirt with a life expectancy of six missions.